Position: Growing Up Healthy (GUH) Advisor (Fixed Term Contract)
Reports to: Programmes Support Manager, Strategy and Program Development
Location: Country Office
Plan Sierra Leone is a humanitarian child centred organization, non religious, non political, Not-for-profit with a vision of a world in which all children reach their potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity in the strive to achieving lasting improvement in the lives of deprived children in communities. Plan Sierra Leone’s focus is on education, health, youth and children’s empowerment backed by advocacy work that engages policy makers and the affected communities in dialogue on issues of inequality to promote lasting development.
Purpose: The GUH Advisor is a technical support position within the programme department of Plan Sierra Leone. It is to improve on the implementation of health projects/programme and activities of Plan Sierra Leone among staff, partners and communities using the Child Centered Community Development approach. The Advisor will be responsible for facilitating the building of the capacity of Plan staff, local partners and communities with whom Plan Sierra Leone works for the effective implementation of the programs and projects. The Advisor’s responsibilities include developing initiatives and strategies that will ensure quality health for children.
Dimensions of Role:
- Ensure Growing Up Healthy domain and water and sanitation sections of Plan Sierra Leone Country Strategic plan are aligned with corporate domains, principles and goals.
- Develop the Growing Up Healthy domain and water and sanitation sections of the Country Strategic plan in collaboration with Program Unit Managers and field staff.
- Support the preparation of Growing Up Healthy domain and water & sanitation sections of annual operational plan for each program unit.
- Reviews project proposals submitted on Growing Up Healthy domain and water & sanitation activities to ensure that they are technically sound and in line with Plan’s programming in health.
- Develops concept notes for review by the Programme Support Manager for Strategy and Programme Development
- Provide support to program unit staff in implementation of program of activities for the year.
- Improve the quality of Plan’s programs by providing ‘state of the art’ technical knowledge on health issues relevant to Plan Sierra Leone.
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategy and operational documents, including the Country Strategic Plan, Country Programme Outlines, Project Outlines, Project proposals, concepts paper, etc.;
- Providing technical support to programme Units, partners and communities in the planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, learning, and sharing for all projects and programmes relating to health promotion.
- Responsible for the development, planning, support to implementation and monitoring of all health related interventions in Plan Sierra Leone.
- Responsible for ensuring health/hygiene promotion, as well as proper training and use of such training by communities in the care and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities in a sustainable manner.
- To manage the Plan Health Country Programme
Dealing with Problems:
Application of knowledge required for the role, complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them.
- Rapid Assessment of epidemics and disasters and contingency plans that can support Plan’s intervention
- Health Risk Reduction and risk management issues in programmes
- Managing the expectations of communities on Health issues
- Development of appropriate response programs for community resilience to health related disasters
- Ensuring organizational readiness to respond to epidemics
- Master’s degree or equivalence with five years relevant working experience in health or related fields
- Knowledgeable in current health issues/activities and systems
- Innovative and field oriented
- Knowledgeable in participatory approaches to Health programming
- Experience of working with formal project management methodologies
- Training in Program/project Management, Training Design & Management, Facilitation, Child Rights, Child protection.
- Experience of developing and delivering project proposals/reports from beginning to completion
Skills and Behaviour
- Computer literate with excellent analytical skills. Candidate should be able to prioritize and manage a complex and varied workload. Must also possess good budgeting and financial skills. Training and presentation skills are a plus. Good team player, resourceful, and easy to adapt to new situations.
Environment and Demands:
- Work under pressure to produce results
- Keep to strict deadlines
- Work over time when absolutely necessary
- Frequent travels within and outside the country.
- Spends 60% of her/his time in the field.
Level of Contact with Children:
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
Closing date for applications: Wednesday, 25th February 2015.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit a fully completed application form together with their CV. Application forms can be obtained from Plan Sierra Leone Country Office at 6 Cantonment Road, off King Harman Road, Freetown.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications should be addressed and submitted to:
The Country Human Resources Manager
6 Cantonment Road
Off King Harman Road