WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME – INTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT no. 15/05/01
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Department: Finance and Administration Unit
Duty Station: Freetown
Position Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Post Grade: GS6 – Fixed term
Within delegated authority, the Senior Staff Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide administrative support to the Country Director; Receive, screen and log correspondences, reports, etc, and forward to the appropriate officer; maintain a log in system and follow up to ensure that replies are timely or that action is taken within the established deadline.
- Draft moderately complex correspondence concerning the Country Director and ensure any related follow up; prepare various documentation and reports, including highly confidential letter, by ensuring accuracy in spelling and layout and adherence to WFP procedures; Maintain the Country Director`s calendar
- Schedule appointments and meetings and make tentative appointments on his/her behalf; brief the Country Director on matters to be considered prior to scheduled meetings.
- Mails dispatched to respective staff members immediately on receipt from Country Director. Courier mail dispatched when ready and hand carrying of mails arranged.
- Updated list with names, institutions and telephone numbers of all relevant counterparts readily available.
- Management and technical processing of International Travel Authorizations including Travel Expense Claim; Make travel arrangements for all staff. This includes making reservation for tickets, ensuring that tickets are collected and given to the passenger in good time, and that all travel is in accordance with the WFP travel guidance; liaise with travel agents and ensure that the Programme gets the best service and price for all travel.
- Maintain database on all staff travel including an updated list on all staff on travel; assist in providing staff with information regarding requirements for travel both within the country and abroad; Initiate and process travel requests and claims; Extract, input, review for accuracy and file date from various sources; assist with visas and hotel booking services where necessary
- Maintain travel control records; follow up with HQs/ODD in case further advice is needed and with staff so that all required evidence of travel is provided.
- Participate in Procurement Process; assisting in requesting of vendor creation by Vendor Master; perform the function of moderator in the procurement opening panel; co-ordinate with other panel members to open the bids in a timely manner.
- Raise PRs, GRN and SES in Wings 2 for payment to partners for goods ordered and received to ensure that payments are made through WFP guide.
Secondary school education. Training in administrative field supplemented by commercial or related courses is desirable.
At least five years of progressively responsible work experience, including at least three years in administrative services.
Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system administrative policies, rules, regulations and procedures. Specialized knowledge of WFP administrative rules and regulations and policies and practices in the specific area of work.
Critical Success Factors:
Ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems. Ability to work with minimum of supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure; to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and other clients and to have a high sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
Formal training in the relevant area of work. Proficiency in English language.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest including the names of at least three referees (kindly indicate referees’ e-mail addresses) and curriculum vitae or Resume Do not provide copies of certificates or diplomas at this time, however, these will be required at the interview stage. in a sealed envelope marked “Confidential” to the:
The Human Resources Unit
World Food Programme
69B Smart Farm, Wilkinson Road,
Freetown and drop it in the WFP Tender Box.
Please mark all envelopes in the top right hand corner and label email subject lines with VA No. 15/05/01
Deadline for receipt of applications “Close of business 20th of May 2015”
Only short listed applicants will be contacted for written tests and interview.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.