London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine invites applications from suitably qualified Sierra Leonean to fill the under mentioned vacant positions:
LOCATION: FREETOWN (1), KAMBIA (1)
CONTRACT DURATION: TWEVEL MONTHS
DIRECT LINE SUPERVISOR: PROGRAMME MANAGER
This post has overall responsibility for the day-to-day maintenance of LSHTM’s financial records, and is required to:
- Maintain financial systems and controls for LSHTM, verifying and checking the financial records, ledgers and statements.
- Ensure that all activities and operations are completed as per LSHTM standard practices and procedures.
- oversee and advise junior staff in the preparation of financial statements
- Provide accurate financial information to LSHTM senior staff and relevant stakeholders both internal and external.
- Plan, organise and evaluate the work of supervisees in the team
- Preparation of monthly management reports
- Assisting Program Manager & Trial Manager with budget proposals
- Assisting in the capacity building of national staff
- MAIN DUTIES
- To maintain appropriate computerised and paper filing systems of financial information.
- To oversee the payment of supplier invoices and the reconciliation of supplier statements.
- To oversee the processing of sales invoices for grants and income due and to ensure that all monies received are banked accordingly.
- To maintain banking procedures, including the monitoring of cash balances, inter-account and inter-project transfers and the monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts.
- To verify all imprest submissions for approval by LSHTM senior staff.
- To verify all LSHTM payments for approval by LSHTM senior staff.
- To act as an agent for all LSHTM bank accounts and to coordinate and manage banking issues.
- To assist senior staff in the budget setting process for LSHTM and its projects
- To maintain the LSHTM nominal ledger and undertake monthly reconciliation of all control accounts.
- To produce reconciled monthly ledger reports for all LSHTM accounts for the preparation of monthly management accounts
- To implement agreed financial procedures and to regularly review these and make recommendations for change/update as necessary
- To ensure that LSHTM maintains a reasonable cash balance reporting any concerns to senior management in a timely manner.
- To develop and maintain robust financial systems for the management and reporting of LSHTM finances
- To control and monitor the accuracy of transactions entered into the LSHTM financial system
- To resolve accounting discrepancies
- To manage the fixed asset procedures, policies and processes
- To assist LSHTM senior staff with the provision of financial data for funding applications.
- To assist in the preparation of quarterly management accounts.
- To manage the financial administration of grants on a day-to-day basis.
- To provide financial reports for funders as required
- To prepare year-end audit files, liaise with auditors during the process and, in conjunction with senior staff, produce audited annual accounts for LSHTM.
- To report to LSHTM senior staff and relevant committees in a timely manner, providing accurate financial data.
- To oversee the monthly payroll and ensure salaries are remitted to staff bank accounts in a timely manner.
- To ensure on a monthly basis that the necessary payments of tax and pension are accurately remitted to the relevant authorities and that the employee pension statements are updated.
Other Key Activities
- To provide financial information and advice to colleagues
- To induct new colleagues in financial systems and procedures
- To maintain up-to-date knowledge and expertise in IT relating to finance
- To coordinate and manage banking issues
- To collaborate with LSHTM staff and staff from LSHTM partner organisations.
- To undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be expected by LSHTM senior staff.
- To establish and agree objectives for the year and monitor these through ongoing supervision.
- To initiate and recommend improvements to the day-to-day running of the LSHTM finance office.
- Promote LSHTM, its core values and services, and play a positive role in the delivery of its day-to-day operations and strategic goals.
- Minimum 4 year experience in in Accounts and Finance environment
- Experience of producing management accounts using computerised software packages
- Experience of restricted/unrestricted income accounting and reporting
- Experience of managing computerised payroll
- Good report-writing skills and the ability to communicate financial information in easily understood language and format
- Staff management experience
- Self-motivation and effective time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A relevant accounting qualification
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviewed.
Applications together with an updated CV with names, addresses and contact telephone numbers or e-mail addresses of three referees should be sent to the following people not later than 4:30pm on Wednesday the 17th June 2015 (This position is part of our emergency response and applications will be reviewed as they are received; interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible)
Human Resources Coordinator, GOAL Sierra Leone, 89s Main Road, Congo Town, Freetown. Email: email@example.com
or Administrative Assistant, East Base, GOAL Sierra Leone, 5 Davies Street Brima Lane, Freetown. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, 2 Showfield Road, Kenema. Email: email@example.com or
Area Coordinator, GOAL Sierra Leone, Cess Villa, Off Bundu Conteh Street New York Section, Makeni. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GOAL Sierra Leone is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.